Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Mmm, COFFEE

I love coffee!  I was RAISED on coffee.  No joke.  Ever heard of Mexican Coffee?  (No, not the alcoholic version...)

In the Hispanic culture, parents will warm milk and add a lot of sugar and a little coffee to it for their children.  In my case, my dad gently warmed milk in a saucepan, added a small spoonful of instant coffee, and then stirred in a couple teaspoons of regular sugar before pouring it into a Mickey Mouse mug for me to drink.  It made me feel like a BIG kid to have my own coffee with my parents.  You may agree or disagree with this practice, but it's what I grew up with.

My taste and love for coffee has grown over the years.  I started off loving super-sugary concoctions from places like Starbucks.  You know, things like a White Chocolate Mocha with extra Whipped Cream or a Caramel Macchiato.  Nowadays, I savor simple cups of Italian Roast brew with skim or 1% milk--no sugar added!  I even enjoy Cappuccinos and Lattes sans sweetener.  Yum!

My latest love affair with coffee:  Decaf Italian Roast.

If you're anything like me, you like a smooth, flavorful, dark roast coffee but you don't like being kept up at night due to caffeine anytime after 4pm.  The answer is the whole bean, decaffeinated Italian Roast from Trader Joe's.  This unassuming can of bliss is usually stocked on the bottom shelf of their coffee section with a glaring orange lid to signal that this will not give you a caffeine buzz (if that's what you're fiending for)--which I am NOT.  For me, this is a perfect union: dark roast, zero caf.

So, try it.  I'm savoring a cup as I type.  Good stuff.  Now, to return to my library book reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment