Monday, March 29, 2010

Tacos Azteca--The Original

We had the pleasure of spending time with some friends of ours who have a mutual love for good food.  It happened to come up in conversation that none of us had found a great, authentic Mexican taqueria in our city.  I realized that we've sort of half-heartedly looked in the years we've been here.

That won't cut it anymore.

With that thought weighing on my mind, I decided to press on and do some research.  I did what any modern girl would do: I googled taquerias on the iPhone.

Within minutes I found several reviews for a little place called Tacos Azteca (the original--not to be confused with the place on Colorado bearing the same moniker).  Tonight, I convinced Seth to go with me and try it out.


We ordered carne asada, pastor, and carnitas tacos--with everything.  Our bebidas included a Mandarin Jarrito and an Horchata. Total damage?  $11.55 for two large drinks and 6 tacos.  Awesome!  (And the drinks were the most expensive at $2.00 and $1.75, respectively.)

The tacos were flavorful and the service was quick.  I enjoyed the pastor tacos the best, but I look forward to trying the chicken in the future.

I think we just found a nice little gem of a place.  We already have plans to return to sample their burritos and combo meals.  They serve tortas, quesadillas, burritos, tacos (including fish), and even offer delivery for orders of $25 and up and catering for special events.  Sweet!

So, if you're interested in visiting Tacos Azteca, here are the deets you should know:

-they accept Visa and MasterCard
-street parking is the only parking available
-don't keep the salsa for more than 10 days, and even then only in the refrigerator (random...but they actually have a sign stating this next to their window because the salsa is ALL NATURAL)
-don't expect a five star dining experience, but do expect yummy and authentic grub
-tacos with everything on it mean your choice of meat, chopped onion and cilantro with a decently spicy salsa, a wedge of lime and sliced radishes on the side

I hope you try it out...if you're in the area, of course.  If you do, let me know what you think.  In the meantime, we'll keep searching for other little holes-in-the walls.  And let us know if there's one you would recommend, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment