Friday, March 2, 2012

Friday Fun - What's on YOUR Bucket List?


Have you seen the movie "The Bucket List"?  I like that movie.  I also like that it makes you think about the goals you have for your life.

A friend's board on Pinterest inspired me to start my own list.  I thought it would be a lot easier to put together.  It's interesting to try to list and in some way quantify the things you would like to highlight your life.  Putting some things on the list now makes me kind of laugh at them.

What I have begun to realize as I collect inspiration images and ideas for my own list, is that what I want--I mean what I REALLY, DEEP DOWN WANT IN MY CORE--is completely rooted in my faith and my family.  I want what God wants for me.

Sure, I think it would be fun to learn Latin ballroom dancing.
Yeah, I would like to write and publish a book.
Of course I would love to be a globe-trotter and learn a foreign language.

Ultimately, though, I simply want what God wants for my life and my family.

Those things may not be mutually exclusive.  God made me.  He has a purpose for me.  He rooted certain desires and abilities in me.  So perhaps someday I will live in a foreign country--as a humble missionary.  Maybe someday I will write a book--to share the gospel and God's work in my life.  It could be that I will learn ballroom dancing (or another form of dance)--to worship God in another way or to minister to others in such an environment.  Only God knows.

As such, I don't feel guilty about putting together a list of things that I think would be fun to do or experience at some point in this earthly life.  However, I am taking a closer look at the motives behind those things and am also holding them out with totally open hands and will let God control what gets accomplished and why.

And some of the things on that list are not big.  They're not all life-altering experiences.  Some are things like embroidering something and learning to knit.  I plan to continue to add to my list--things both big and small.  I want to be intentional in my life, as much as I can.

What are some things you'd like to put on your own bucket list?  I'd love to hear some of your goals.  They may inspire more things to put on mine! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment